February 18, 2011

I hate my job (now also in English!)

So, I was at this international conference last week and there were some Finnish guys who were read my blog when I was still working at my old job (which I hated). They also did some translations of my blog entries to co-workers from other countries and I got a request to writing in English. At the moment I'm out of ideas, since I love my job, but I am willing to translate some of my old blog entries to English. So, here goes my first entry from 2009:

I hate my job.

I really don't get any satisfaction out of it. The most horrible day of the week is monday and during weekdays the most boring and repulsive time of the day is from 8 to 16 (working hours in Finland). Regardless, I've been working in the IT department for 4 years now, for three different employers. All of the work places had same phenomenons: trendy work slang, coffee chats of idiots, bad radio stations, surfing on tabloid websites... the list is endless.

I started working after I graduated from Polytechnic school with good grades. I was excited, and for a reason: I got my first permanent job straight after graduating! Quick orientation, new things I couldn't remember the next day, names I couldn't memorize and MANY phenomenons that I mentioned earlier.

Nonethless, I tried to keep positive attitude and I really wanted to be efficient, hardworking and ultimately a good worker. I wanted for the company to make profit, I was interested in all the business figures, sales, new projects, pie charts etc.

But in the end, the awful truth dawned on me... Work sucked. Work days seemed like they lasted forever and end of the week was like a winning on a lottery.

In this blog I will tell my experiences in work life. These writings are mostly from 2007-2009 but there's also recent stuff.

Hope you enjoy it!

37 comments:

  1. working is slavery unless you work for yourself----

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling, to be underappreciated it's the worst ever, but at least you still have a job and get some money!
    Glad to hear you are happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. think this way, u get payed to do what u like(i guess) just ignore those dumb coworkers, and do your thing. think positive.

    hope it helps =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @D.B is right. Ignore and make more things out of the work. Forget about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks dude, all too common in the workplace nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling as well but you know, we all need to eat. You're right to keep on thinking positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god, are you my clone?

    I work on IT too, however I'm jobless since January (I'm taking it easy), and that sounded like me from a few years ago.
    Can't wait to read more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unemployed here, I hate not having a job. :P Nice blog, though. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can definitely agree with you on this one. Enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what i dont like is doing the same, over and over again. Working for yourself is the best but its hard to achieve and very risky

    ReplyDelete
  11. try to avoid repetitive monotonous jobs

    ReplyDelete
  12. It could be worst ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. least you have a job, just ignore other people. we all know we hate our bosses and managers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've a few had jobs like this. It's hell!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waiting for my place of business to go under--- reading of others blight eases the wait until sweet sweet unemployment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! Now i can understand what you said in 2009 xD

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can push through! You have a great blog, thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know the feeling, doing the same stuff everyday gets to you. But take it from me you'll probably miss it if you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Work sucks for 95% of the population

    ReplyDelete
  20. Every job you go to will end up crappy in the end, just stick with the one you have and it will all work out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As the IT department I guess you work in the basement =D

    But yes, I wouldn't like to work doing something I truly enjoyed, because after a year of it I probably wouldn't enjoy it so much anymore.

    Great blog, and looking forward to future posts. Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. never had office job but it seems to suck ^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. In Sweden, young people can't get any jobs... It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. In this world we live we have to work if we want to live in good place and with good standard. Without work is hard to get cash and it is not so good

    ReplyDelete
  25. Work is only slightly more preferable than being a hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm coming to the realization that life is a grind. You gotta enjoy the moments you get. Every day can't be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. well but in the end you need the money

    ReplyDelete
  28. Join the club of people who hate their jobs... makes life so much shitter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. sucky jobs make you humble. that's nothing to sneeze at

    ReplyDelete
  30. we all know work is only for money or at least for me. i don't go in expecting to be happy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I too hate work, not the act of working as opposed to playing, but being in that 'professional' environment always feels alien and foreign, like I'm acting in a play performing as an employee. I also have a soul so maybe that explains it

    ReplyDelete
  32. awesome man, glad it's now in english. will be looking forward to your posts

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just hope your boss won't see this :P

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, I can't wait for more post. I don't think your job is that bad. I guess we will find out.

    ReplyDelete