February 24, 2011

Interns - The nigger of the world

NOTE! Before you call me racist or anything like that, please read this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_Is_the_Nigger_of_the_World It implies to slavery.


Interns at work place are a fucking great resource. In Finland companies usually hire interns for the summer, but many schools also have some sort of mandatory internship periods. And why are they so great? Well, let's take a developer for example: they come fresh from the school bench, they know how to code and if you get lucky he'll be better at writing code than the guys (engineers) that have been doing same stuff for years. And they're FUCKING FREE! Why they are treated so badly then?

Interns always get the shittiest jobs.
Welcome to Fuck You Co., Mr Slav...Smith
Usually interns get either too challenging ("Design and implement this complete CMS system and if you have spare time implement SAP to it also") or too easy ("organize the shelves and collect trash from the yard") tasks. Those quotes in parenthesis are my ACTUAL tasks working as an intern, two different places. I didn't do any of that shit but that's a whole different story.

Nobody wants to talk to interns, since he/she won't be staying for long anyway. Usually they don't get paid so they'll eat some microwave pizza alone in the backroom while others go out to eat. Co-workers often give interns tasks that interrupt their work, and they are in general considered as slaves of the workplace. In best/worst scenario the companies can benefit 50 000 euros (this is just an estimate) from the interns work and he/she gets paid nothing. When the intern asks for possible payment, middle management talks about "mental capital" (actual quote from real life).

I don't if it's just me but I have no single good experience about being intern. I can say for sure, that I didn't personally benefit from these experiences and never really got anything out of these internships. The fact that I'm a lazy SOB might have something to do with it but hey, what do you expect when you're being worked for free? Yet, I enjoyed watching interns at my last jobs, designing and implementing systems that are usually done by experts. They are very valuable "mental capital".

Got any GOOD internship experiences? Share them in comments.

35 comments:

  1. I remember working as an intern for no pay. I got to do the same type of work and same amount of work and stress as the guys who did get paid, but didn't get a dime.

    Thankfully that was a one off experience, I've been an intern twice since then and both places have treated me very well and paid me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm i disagree with the word use but meh oh btw im following you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh damn I have to admit, the title of this post certainly got my attention

    ReplyDelete
  4. No good intern experiences here, only bad ones, urgh. Been one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah interns definitely get a raw deal, and it seems the younger they are the more crap they have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's like that here too, in my IT dept we get interns every year and they get to do the crappiest jobs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, i agree they are just used like slaves

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember I've been joining sheets with stapler for one month while being an intern. And each day employers were telling me my job was extremely important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was an intern for a tv production about a month ago. I ended up being everyone's bitch. The worst thing about it was that it was an unpaid internship. Never doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never worked with an Intern... and those I have heard of didn't have to do anything and were paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol I wanted to call you racist

    ReplyDelete
  12. My internship resulted in a full time position!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice one... you racist vittu!
    http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittu

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. dude, this post's title made me laugh so hard. Great post man, i can't wait for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought of it that way. Being an intern must suck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha nice way of looking at it but still true thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being an intern is a pain in the ass...

    ReplyDelete
  18. internship is slavery man, its free work for big corporations who can afford to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Internship is hard indeed. Liked the Lennon reference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a couple of good internships, but I got both of them trough good recommendations, so I guess that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I worked as an intern,but I liked it.People were really helpful and trying to make me understand more about the job.Must`ve been lucky,I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always thought so. The companies benefit goddamn well from interns, but why not abuse them if they can?
    I worked as an intern at a national newspaper. It was actually exciting as it was during the world cup and I got along quite well with everyone and I got credit. So it was a good experience. But I had to stay on guard all the time, and work myself to get what I want. Other interns didn't have that much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. the title made me laugh, but yeah, it's sad, interns are everyone's bitch

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ugh, I need to find a paid internship somewhere. That'd be the life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting blog idea :)

    Ive been an intern in one design company. A bad design company, but the attitude was quite good. Managed to get all the papers signed and got he hell out of there ;) but that was a long time ago, now to think of it, i actually got some minimal experience out of that ( working with my first clients , troubleshooting etc)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must say the titled was very grabbing. I haven't been an intern so i can't REALLY place myself in that position. I have however done volunteer work which the people you volunteer for can sometimes take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. best title for a blog post i've ever seen. I agree though, as an intern I even hate myself

    ReplyDelete
  28. ive interned before, this is all true

    ReplyDelete
  29. Poor interns. At least they had a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Even though it serves as a good learning experience, being an intern sucks!

    ReplyDelete