March 7, 2011

Work for yourself - part 2

Okay, I'm going to write more about stuff I know nothing of - working for yourself and actually making some money. Here are more guidelines for you to consider:


I mean, seriously?
Don't believe everything you read - If you Google (I love Google, can you tell?) "make money at home" you get over billion search results. "Make money on the Internet" returns 268 million results. Most of this stuff is crap - they are usually some sort of pyramid schemes or scams that aim for your wallet, not your success. You could always hop in the scam wagon and do the same, but that's not very sustainable business model, and it has it's risks (going to jail and get gangraped). Here are some sites that I have found useful during my shot career at Internet business:

Steve Pavlina - Personal development for smart people : That site has hundreds of quality articles about making money in the Interwebs, I highly recommend reading them.

ProBlogger : Very good tips for bloggers. Lots of long and informative articles about blogging and how to make money with it.

CozyFrog Academy : CozyFrog helps you start your own adult business, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Most of the tips and articles there can be applied for general websites too. You'll learn the basics here (niches, traffic, what you need for working at home, etc.)


Not all ideas are good
You can't force creativity - Good ideas usually when least expected. Don't try to force these, since you can't force creativity. Here's a quote from movie Pi:

"You remember Archimedes of Syracuse, eh? The king asks Archimedes to determine if a present he's received is actually solid gold. Unsolved problem at the time. It tortures the great Greek mathematician for weeks - insomnia haunts him and he twists and turns in his bed for nights on end. Finally, his equally exhausted wife - she's forced to share a bed with this genius - convinces him to take a bath to relax. While he's entering the tub, Archimedes notices the bath water rise. Displacement, a way to determine volume, and that's a way to determine density - weight over volume. And thus, Archimedes solves the problem. He screams "Eureka" and he is so overwhelmed he runs dripping naked through the streets to the king's palace to report his discovery."

Feel like your brain is dysfunctional? Take a day off, go to a spa, have a drink with friends, etc. You'll be surprised how those ideas start coming when you least expect them.


Outsource boring stuff - You don't have to do everything by yourself. Get some cheap labor from Asian countries (you can hire English-fluent article writers from Indonesia). Buy your web design from desperate university students who'll work cheaper than the Indonesian people. Blackmail your girlfriend/boyfriend/neighbor to do the boring, repetitive labor.

I really don't know if this stuff is interesting, so maybe you readers could tell me. Should I write more about working for yourself or just that regular bullshit about how I still hate my job and working in general? Comments, please.



17 comments:

  1. thanks for the info dude! really good post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess people sometimes think money would come out of the internet on their bank account. But you have to waork anyway
    Baxxmans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might capitalise on some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another great post, keep em coming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The occasional work for yourself posts are nice. They entertain me and I'm sure eventually there's gonna be one I'm going to >really< like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tips. This is actually a very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watch out for that weight and yoga ball!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative, I've learnt a few things from this post about blogging, thanks a lot! Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. theres no such its as "easy money", everything must be earned by one way or another

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of bribing my GF in helping me with my blogging, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm saving this...I need more $$$! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one's a keeper: " Blackmail your girlfriend/boyfriend/neighbor to do the boring, repetitive labor" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the tips, those links look especially helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great advice, I think often times we overcomplicate things/try too hard when it only stifles our goals.

    ReplyDelete