March 8, 2011

Confessions of a job hater

I was having a conversation at this forum about working and I really liked what this one guy wrote. I asked for his permission to translate it to English and publish it in my blog and he said yes. Enjoy!

"I know how you feel, I was in a same situation few years back. For many years I listened to stuff about Nokia stock. At least in the beginning of the millenia this was very common topic among little yuppies. I thought it was superficial. Few years back there was this show on TV called The Apprentice by Donald Trump. My friend used to hum the tune of that show ("money, money, money" or something like that) while he told me that he had bought new speakers 50 000 € a piece. He told me that he had invested over 200 000 € into HiFi with golden cables. He also claimed to have spent 5000 € on men's fragrances. After that he mumbled something about his new Mercedes.

God I hate my job!

There are many reasons why I lost my enthusiasm to work. One was when I realized that succeeding in the IT was like playing the lottery - worth of one product could be billions, other's 0. Even thought both developer (or dev teams) may be equally good, success is usually based on good luck.

I started to hate my job even more when I realized that old phrase "Work is everything" doesn't apply. Harder I tried to work and build my career, more I felt like I was getting bogged down in the swamp of despair. More projects I had, more insecure I got. I didn't have any luck with the projects I did, even thought they were completed in time and without faults. In Finnish working culture you're nothing if you're at wrong side of the fence.

It's no surprise that people in Finland apply for governmental jobs with simple job description and good pensions without any profit responsibilities. The other option, working for the companies, is too risky and even then most of the profits go to business managers, investors and other people who did nothing for the results.

I visited a doctor some time ago saying that I can't get anything out of my job. He tried to prescribe me some antidepressants but I know that there are deeper, philosophical reasons for me hating working. I think I could work for few days a week and live a simple life, and for the rest of the time I could do something I love (procrastinating for example!). But as long as the system does not approve that, I will use every trick in the book and do nothing at work from now on."

I don't know if something crucial was lost in translation, but I think this guy is right: Working is not worth it anymore.

36 comments:

  1. Working towards something of no worth isn't worth it. There needs to be worth to your work. If you work on an app that never gets sold, whats the point? Most things, even here in the US seem to be that way too. People are unhappy when they work worthless jobs that don't make something new or unique. That said, there is propensity for unique work to be done, but people don't invest in it because it's unsafe, unproven and untested. If investors took more risks, if we as whole work towards new things, there would be greater happiness. Imagine rather then programming apps, programmers designed new applications for space exploration, flight systems, and other great stuff on massive levels, instead of the restricted work done today. We could go so much further. To much is wasted on entertainment or idle value objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tjaa, it's easy to relate to this guy since what he says are things we fear, above average IQ but underachievers, but don't forget that you Western folks believes in individuality, and to become idle/lazy is a crime. Though I'm not at the stage to understand anti depressant pills and the worry of retirement, that I can't comment on, us Chinese just work all day around the clock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's hard to feel happy at work, but saying that it's not worth any more might be too harsh.
    Maybe he needs a change of career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my work... but then again I get to work from home all the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody likes work because we HAVE to work. We have to work because we owe someone who owes someone money.

    It's kinda like slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like someone had a case of the Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I ever encountered that with work I'd feel discouraged. I need to work hard to feel good about my job, then the payoff is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yet we must continue working -.-

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe look elsewhere for another job but dont hadn in your resognation :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what its like doing a job you hate, but you have to do it :\

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything has to work. If it's not an actual 'job' there is still work to do. Animals work, humans work, everyone works in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's starting to get to the point that education is essential, the world is getting very small, and the middle class of the world has shrunk. Like you said, all the money goes to people who make more and do less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like working because it shows how much hard work I have put into something and makes me feel proud about what I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Probably, somewere in the world are people that like their work, but I don't know anyone who like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think the problem is that, at some point of your life, you get tired of your job, even if you love what you do...

    ReplyDelete
  16. everyone works as someone says, but we've been doing work that has very little to do with being human these days. (: Way more about lining somebody's pocket that you don't know.

    For work to be satisfying, try doing something humans would feel good about doing...like I don't know....training freaking eagles to hunt wolves? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdUzuWuM9A

    I mean...just one example anyway. (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'Work' is a complicated subject. :s

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I started to hate my job even more when I realized that old phrase "Work is everything" doesn't apply. Harder I tried to work and build my career, more I felt like I was getting bogged down in the swamp of despair"

    i feel the very same!! excelent post

    ReplyDelete
  19. hah, I like that sentiment. I hope when I get started with my career I end up doing something interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Working is not worth it anymore! amen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I honestly don't "hate" my job, but I like this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with the Astro Pirate 100%. Work itself isn't what is unfulfilling; unfulfilling work is unfulfilling. Find something meaningful to put your stake it; you may still hate your job, but just a little less. . !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Work, four letter word right there

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's true--grinding through the ladder is not that feasible these days because of the sheer amount of labor involved. That's where entrepreneurship comes in, but that is an individual risk. Depends on the decision of the person at the end. Great post, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've totally lost interest in my work. I used to try so hard to keep everyone happy, but then you find they have animosity towards you anyway... So what's the point?

    It's stupid to work unless you get something morally beneficial out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What? So he seriously chooses to stick with a job he hates really much? Why not find something you enjoy doing?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know what you mean, working really isn't worth anything, there's plenty of people who can do the work, the ideas are the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I understand why a nurse that brings the bad news to the patient hates her job, but this guy will be fine...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hate my job.. I'll be checking back soon! alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is why I want to try my best to stay out of the workforce, I'd rather work from home or hell even own my own business. Good read man.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hope my job will be good (teaching)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for translation!

    It was I who wrote this original version of this translated message.

    ReplyDelete